4 replies to this topic

J.Hines

J.Hines

Civilian

• Civillian
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFort Stewart

This recent OP had the challenge of night. I suggest we add Flares to our invintory for the standard load out. The NODs MOD we just moved to are very realistic and we carry flares with us too. If we are running a day time OP we could use the flares for signaling of positions or to start the next part of the mission. I know we have flares you can shoot from the 40mm Grenade launchers and mortars, I just dont know if we have a hand held star cluster, or pin flares. These will provide good signaling for the mission during high coms traffic and also provide light during night OPs. On our NVGs note, I do not think we should move away from their current version, yes it is harder to see with them, however they are very realistic. Maybe tweeked a little bit if possible but not much.

• SSG Z.Owen likes this

S.Retch

S.Retch

Civilian

• Civillian
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationDüsseldorf - NRW

Yes there are handheld flares in our current mods, they come in the variations of White,Yellow,Red and Green and are used just like a grenade.

To pick up on the NVGs, they are horrible and added through the latest ACE update(nvg.pbo), I suggest to remove them or alter the setting DRASTICLY.

They don't seem to provide any IR-Illumination either, like if there is no or low light you only know there is ground underneath you because you are walking on it, its pitch black/green. While flying in yesterdays operation I could barely make out terrain points and had to completely rely on the instruments and calls from my copilot(#WO1 J.Lex), as we are talking about him I'd like to ask him to state his opinion on the topic of the NVGs, but I know for quiet certain that current GEN NVGs don't have this poor quality, to add yesterday was a rather clear sky with full star visibility. I really have never seen such a way to simulate NVGs.

CW2 J.Lex

CW2 J.Lex

Chief Warrant Officer 2

• 3rd Infantry Division
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

During missions that deviate from the norm you can issue special equipment. All it takes is a bit of planning and some communication. I think you guys are already overloaded. You have to analyze if adding flares to all the stuff you already carry is going to help or hinder your average mission.

From a tactical standpoint, you have to be careful with flares. They work as much for the enemy as they work for you. They are an enemy FO's best friend (And if I was a Zeus I'd put some Mortars on every flare I saw on the field). IRL, they will also saturate, and effectively blind your goggles. You usually use one or the other for illumination. 

I am not happy with the NVG mod. I've looked through Gen 1, 2, and 3+ sights, and I've used Gen 3's and thermal sights extensively under field conditions. The best I can say was that the Gen 3's I used during the last OP looked like Gen1's or early Gen2's at best in terms of the level of noise. Frankly, it was closer to those you tube videos taken with a poor camera attached to an NVG, where the quality is affected by the lack of synchronization between the frequencies on both tubes. A good number of your problems will go away if we can adjust that situation. 

• S.Retch likes this

Posted Image

J.Hines

J.Hines

Civilian

• Civillian
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFort Stewart

Pilots should have different NVGs to begin with, they should have the best ones where this problem dosn't occur. As far as the equipment standpoint, it wouldn't change anything to carry them if we added assault bags as well, there would more than enough room to carry everything we need. As far as the tactical standpoint, yes it would give away our general location, however, if we can't see anything we're going to get messed anyway. Enemy IDF capabilities are our first objective for every mission so they would be taken care of or about to be taken care of before we popped the first flare.

1SG E.Gilmore

1SG E.Gilmore

First Sergeant

• Command Staff
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationVegas baby!

Donator

Denied.jpg

E.Gilmore.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Denied

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users