7 replies to this topic

SSG M.Carter

SSG M.Carter

Staff Sergeant

• 3rd Infantry Division
  • PipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • LocationVienna, Austria

Just a notice that hurricane Florence seems to be getting stronger and might become a cat 5. If any person on this site (3rdID or not) is in or near it path, please make sure you have provisions, somewhere safe to go when it hits, a backup plan if things go bad and that you let someone know where you are.

If you are in need of help don't hesitate to drop a message here. We have members from every walk of life who will help anyway possible or put you in contact with the right people.

Think smart and stay safe!

• LTC J.LaFlash, CW3 J.Lex and SFC E.Verhein like this

Posted Image

CPT D.Cantu

CPT D.Cantu

Captain

• Command Staff
  • 776 posts

Donator

Make the preparations and leave now, do not wait until the last minute.  Traffic is already going to be bad, you do not want to be stuck in it when the maditory evacuations go out.  Stay safe soldiers! Communicate with us if you can!

D.Cantu.jpg?2

CW3 J.Lex

CW3 J.Lex

Chief Warrant Officer 3

• 3rd Infantry Division
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

As a survivor of both CAT 5's last year, I strongly encourage whoever lives in the strike area to prepare well. 

I had experienced CAT 4's before, but there is an order of magnitude in terms of violence between that and a 5. 

If you live in an area prone to flooding or in a house made out of wood you should seek shelter somewhere else. Take the warning seriously. Don't think that "Hurricane-proof construction" applies to a CAT5, because it doesn't. Over 4,000 people died down here last year. Many of them because they didn't take proper precautions.

Get canned food for about 4 weeks, a solar lantern, and one of those portable water filters. An inverter generator and some fuel may make your life easier during the first days. That is specially important if someone in your household needs medical equipment such as apnea machines.

Expect to lose the basic services for a while. Even underground utilities can be affected by landslides, and flooding. They are also often damaged by the efforts of the first responders. A CAT5 can topple or damage cellular communication towers as well as core power trunk towers. 

Good luck (you are going to need it), and well come to the exclusive CAT5 club.  :lol:

Posted Image

SGT P.Stowe

SGT P.Stowe

Sergeant

• 3rd Infantry Division
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Well folks I won't be hit by the cat 5 but i could be a cat 3-2 when it hits me and I get to stay for disaster response. If given the chance to donate to help please do. I fear this will be one hell of a hurricane

P.Stowe.jpg

CW3 J.Lex

CW3 J.Lex

Chief Warrant Officer 3

• 3rd Infantry Division
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

You can try this....

unknown.png

Posted Image

CPT D.Cantu

CPT D.Cantu

Captain

• Command Staff
  • 776 posts

Donator

It has downgraded to a Cat 3 hurricane now that it is getting closer and is getting in cooler waters.  This does not downgrade the amount of damage that it is going to do, it is over 400 miles wide and will wreck everything it its place.  Stay safe out there my friends, I hear that there are even sharks swirling around in this one

D.Cantu.jpg?2

CW3 J.Lex

CW3 J.Lex

Chief Warrant Officer 3

• 3rd Infantry Division
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

To be fair a CAT3 may rip off something that is loose, topple some trees, and maybe blow off the roof of a few houses. The most dangerous part of will be the flooding. 

A CAT 5 can fly your house or car over to a different county (I've seen it!). 

huracan-maria.jpg

Posted Image

PV2 J.Ryan

PV2 J.Ryan

Private Second Class

• 3rd Infantry Division
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationBucharest, Romania

You can try this....

unknown.png

LMAO, this is all I have to say