Chaplain Corps Celebrates 245th Anniversary
Reported By SFC C.Brock
Image credit: SGT C.Brock
On July 29, the US Army Chaplain Corps marks 245 years of military service.
Formed in 1775 by an Act of the Continental Congress, the Chaplain Corps has faithfully served Soldiers in every US military conflict since the Revolutionary War. Its motto is, Pro Deo et Patria, that is, “For God and Country”.
Located at Fort Jackson, South Carolina, the US Army Chaplain Center and School trains and organizes Chaplains and Chaplain Assistants to work for the moral and spiritual well-being of our fighting men and women of all faiths.
Throughout its long history, the Army Chaplain Corps has held within its small ranks a number of great Soldiers. These include Medal of Honor winners MAJ Charles J. Watters, CPT Milton L. Haney (“The Fighting Chaplain”), and CPT Emil Kapaun. In addition to these exemplary men, there are countless more who humbly gave what time, talent, and tenderness they could to others in need, often as hell broke loose around them.
Perhaps best known are the “Four Chaplains”–LT George L. Fox, Methodist; LT Alexander D. Goode, Jewish; LT John P. Washington, Roman Catholic; and LT Clark V. Poling, Dutch Reformed–who, after their troop transport ship Dorchester was torpedoed February 2, 1943, ministered to fellow victims and gave up their life jackets so that others might live.
Looking ahead, the US Army Chaplain Corps is preparing to serve future Soldiers throughout a full spectrum of conflict. Working across religious and denominational lines, the Army’s Chaplains will remain important contributors to our nation’s military readiness.