• Commanders Corner - Recap 2020

War Eagles,

It was quite the successful year for unit.  Having accepted 182 soldiers into our unit last year, we need to look to continue on this path, Recruit, Train and the Retention of our soldiers is our mission in 2021.  We currently are not far from that second platoon, but can we see the reactivation of Bravo Company in 2021?  

Quick 2020 Recap:

• Sadly we awarded our first ever Medal of Honor with the passing of Sergeant Richard C. Anderson
    • Within 2020 we all engaged in Operation Thin Ice, which was 26 combat missions and 20 more presence patrols within three different maps based within Iraqi Eastern Provinces. 
    • Graduated 31 Soldiers within 4 Warrior Leadership Courses and graduated 4 Soldiers in an Advanced Leadership Course
    • Conducted 49 - OSUT Classes, 5 - Airborne Schools,  3 - Air Assault Courses, 6 - Combat Live Saver Courses, 2 - Medic Schools and 1 - Ranger School
    • Reactivation  Spartan Squad with the leadership of CPL E.Abel in August 2020
    • Reactivation of Phoenix Squad with the leadership of SGT G.Tucci  in November 2020
    • Never failed to hit a donation Goal within 2020 - That is true dedication from those that donated!
    • And as I said before accepted 182 Soldiers into our unit within 2020!

The first quarter of the 2021 is going to be a big one for us in the unit, with the holidays now finished up and we all move to get back into our daily routines of life. We will find that activity will have increased more and alot more training will be coming down this quarter. With the plans of have Warrior Leadership Course, Advanced Leadership Course, Air Assault & Airborne School, and more continued focus field training exercises to get us motivated and keep us sharp for our next upcoming Operation. It's going to take us all from Command Staff to the newest soldier in the battalion to keep us on the correct path to have a successful 2021. I look forward to the opening months of this new year and I have a vision of success planned out for this unit to keep our quality of soldiers high and our recruitment even higher as we continue to push ourselves further into the 3rd Infantry Division Realism unit history!

With the New Year brings another year of opportunity, this year we have great hopes in continuing not only our growth but our development of soldiers. We have great leaders in this unit and a lot to bring up into those leadership positions. As we continue to focus on developing at a higher level we need our lower level leaders, FireTeam Leaders, to continue their push on developing and finding that next great Fireteam Leader. Everyone of us that is currently holding a leadership position, whether its a junior NCO grade Fireteam Leader slot or a Company Commander, we all need to have the mindset of developing and finding that one soldier to replace you so that when the time comes we can expand and promote. As we are only about one month into 2021, I know I have my eyes on opening that second platoon!  Only way to make this happen is recruit new soldiers on all areas possible and leaders must lead our soldiers. Retention, activity and morale are the side effect of leading your soldiers well!

I would like to congratulate Corporal Kyle Skitz for being named the Fourth Quarters - Soldier of the Quarter to round off the end of 2020.  Throughout his time here he has shown a very strong passion for our unit, dedication, patriotism, valor, fidelity and professional excellence. He shows these while leading a combat team to leading and setting the example in his DMOS. Having earned himself multiple Army Achievement Medals, an Army Commendation Medal with Valor in combat, having graduated skilled schools in Ranger, Airborne, and Air Assault, he earned the covenant French Fourragere Cord. In view of these qualities, his demonstrated leadership potential, and dedicated service, Corporal Kyle Skitz has been award the Soldiers Medal and selected as this Soldier of the Quarter.   I would like to take the time to once again congratulate other three 2020 Soldier of the Quarter.  1st Quarter - SPC C.Brock, 2nd Quarter - Sergeant D.Sklenar, 3rd Quarter - Sergeant E.Abel, and now 4th Quarter - Corporal K.Skitz.  These four have shown extreme dedication to our unit and I am proud to have them all be our 2020 Soldiers of the Quarter.

Rock of the Marne

Major John LaFlash
    Company Commander